ⓘ Free online encyclopedia. Did you know? page 95

Barker Reservoir

Barker Reservoir is a flood control structure in Houston, Texas which prevents downstream flooding of Buffalo Bayou, the citys principal river. The reservoir operates in conjunction with Addicks Reservoir to the northeast, which impounds Mayde an ...

Brays Bayou

Braes Bayou is a slow-moving river in Harris County, Texas. A major tributary of Buffalo Bayou, the Brays flows for 31 miles from the western edge of the county, south of Barker Reservoir along the border with Fort Bend County, east to its conver ...

Brunner, Houston

Brunner is an area within Houston that was at one time a distinct community. Brunner was in west central Harris County, along the Houston and Texas Central Railway and 3 miles west of Houston. In 1895 Brunners population was 500, and it had two c ...

Buckhorn Lake (Houston)

Buckhorn Lake is a private lake in Harris County in the state of Texas, United States. The lake is approximately 60 acres filled with cypress trees and was created by an under water creek and spring. It is well equipped for fishing.

Clear Lake (Galveston Bay)

Clear Lake is a brackish harbour located near Houston, Texas, U.S., in Harris County. The lake feeds Galveston Bay. It is bordered by Houston, Pasadena, League City, Clear Lake Shores, Taylor Lake Village, Seabrook and El Lago, Texas. NASAs Johns ...

Dickinson Bay (Texas)

Dickinson Bay is an inlet of Galveston Bay in Texas, United States within the Greater Houston metropolitan area. It is fed by Dickinson Bayou and the community of San Leon sits on a peninsula to its north.

Galveston Bay Area

The Galveston Bay Area, also known as Bay Area Houston or simply the Bay Area, is a region that surrounds the Galveston Bay estuary of Southeast Texas in the United States, within Houston–The Woodlands–Sugar Land metropolitan area. Normally the t ...

Geographic areas of Houston

The geographic areas of Houston are generally classified as either being inside or outside Interstate 610, known as the "Loop." Inside the loop generally encompasses the Central business district and the "island cities" of West University Place, ...

Greater Houston

Greater Houston, designated by the United States Office of Management and Budget as Houston–The Woodlands–Sugar Land, is the fifth-most populous metropolitan statistical area in the United States, encompassing nine counties along the Gulf Coast i ...

Halls Bayou

Halls Bayou is a bayou in the northern part of Houston, Texas. It begins just north of W Mt Houston Road and flows for 17 miles. It empties into Greens Bayou in Brock Park and Golf Course. It gets its name after Isaac Dolan Hall bought the land.

Houston Energy Corridor

The Energy Corridor is a business district in Greater Houston, Texas, located on the west side of the metropolitan area between Beltway 8 and the Grand Parkway. The district straddles a 7-mile stretch of Interstate 10 from Kirkwood Road westward ...

Lake Anahuac

Lake Anahuac is an artificial lake fed by the Trinity River, 45 miles east of downtown Houston, Texas, United States in western Chambers County. The city of Anahuac lies on its eastern shores. It was constructed by the Burkhalter family in 1953. ...

Lake Houston

Lake Houston is a reservoir on the San Jacinto River, 15 miles northeast of downtown Houston, Texas, United States. The reservoir is the primary municipal water supply for the city of Houston.

Moses Lake (Texas)

Moses Lake is a lake located near Texas City, Texas, US, in the Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown metropolitan area. It is fed by Moses Bayou and drains into Galveston Bay.

Port of Houston

The Port of Houston is one of the worlds largest ports and serves the metropolitan area of Houston, Texas. The port is a 50-mile-long complex of diversified public and private facilities located a few hours sailing time from the Gulf of Mexico. L ...

San Jacinto River (Texas)

The San Jacinto River runs from Lake Houston in Harris County, Texas, to Galveston Bay. In the past, it was home to the Karankawa and Akokisa tribes. It is named after Saint Hyacinth. Tuning forks of the river San Jacinto known as on the East and ...

Sheldon Lake

Sheldon Lake is a reservoir on Carpenters Bayou in the San Jacinto River basin, 16 miles northeast of downtown Houston, Texas. The reservoir was created in 1943 when the federal government built a dam to provide fresh water for shipbuilding and s ...

Taylor Lake (Texas)

Taylor Lake is a lake adjacent to Clear Lake, southeast of Houston, Texas, United States near Galveston Bay. The city of Taylor Lake Village lies on its shores within the Clear Lake Area of the Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown metropolitan area.

Texas Medical Center

The Texas Medical Center is a 2.1-square-mile medical district and neighborhood in south-central Houston, Texas, immediately south of the Museum District and west of Texas State Highway 288. Over sixty medical institutions, largely concentrated i ...

Uptown Houston

Uptown is a business district in Houston, located 6.2 miles west of Downtown and is centered along Post Oak Boulevard and Westheimer Road. The Uptown District is roughly bounded by Woodway Drive to the north, the I-610 to the east, Richmond Avenu ...

Jones Valley, Huntsville

Jones Valley is an urbanized valley and region of Huntsville, Alabama. The community is bordered by Monte Sano Mountain and Green Mountain to the east and Waltons Mountain to the west. Valley Jones is an array of homes ranging from mid-century to ...

Shelta Cave

Shelta Cave is a 2.500-foot-long cave and lake located in Huntsville, Madison County, Alabama, United States. It is described as one of the most bio-diverse caves within the Appalachian Mountains. The cave is currently owned and managed as a natu ...

Center Township, Marion County, Indiana

Center Township is one of nine townships in Marion County, Indiana, in the United States. As of the 2010 census, its population was 142.787 and it contained 76.872 housing units. It is the most populated township in Marion County. Township-area i ...

Decatur Township, Marion County, Indiana

Decatur Township is the smallest in geographic size and in population of the nine townships in Marion County, Indiana, United States. As of the 2010 census, it had a population of 32.388. Located on the southwest corner of the county, the townshi ...

Franklin Township, Marion County, Indiana

Franklin Township is one of the nine townships of Marion County, Indiana, United States. Located in the southeast corner of the county, it has been subsumed into the city of Indianapolis along with most of the rest of the county. It contains the ...

Indian Lake (Indiana)

Indian Lake is a reservoir in Marion County in central Indiana in the United States. It is approximately 5 mi northeast of Indianapolis. It was created in 1929 by damming Indian Creek, a tributary to Fall Creek. Before the creation of geist reser ...

Lawrence Township, Marion County, Indiana

Lawrence Township is one of nine townships in Marion County, Indiana, United States. The population was 118.447 at the 2010 census. Lawrence Township was organized in 1822. In the Metropolitan school district of Lawrence township provides service ...

Perry Township, Marion County, Indiana

Perry Township is one of the nine townships of Marion County, Indiana, United States, located in the south central part of the county. It was laid out in 1822 by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and named after Oliver Hazard Perry – a War of 1812 ...

Pike Township, Marion County, Indiana

Pike Township is one of the nine townships of Marion County, Indiana, United States, North America, located in the northwestern portion of the county. The entire township is administratively part of Indianapolis, although a portion of the include ...

Warren Township, Marion County, Indiana

Warren Township is one of nine townships in Marion County, Indiana. As of the 2010 census, its population was 99.433. Warren Township was named for Joseph Warren. High school Warren high school Creston and Raymond high school is located in the vi ...

Washington Township, Marion County, Indiana

Washington Township is one of the nine townships of Marion County, Indiana, located in the northern part of the county. The township is entirely within the city of Indianapolis. The population as of the 2010 census was 132.049. The first settleme ...

Wayne Township, Marion County, Indiana

Wayne Township is one of nine townships in Marion County, Indiana. As of the 2010 census, its population was 136.828. The school district is Metropolitan School District of Wayne Township.

White River (Indiana)

The White River is an American two-forked river that flows through central and southern Indiana and is the main tributary to the Wabash River. Via the west fork, considered to be the main stem of the river by the U.S. Board on Geographic Names, t ...

Baldwin, Florida

Baldwin is a town in Duval County, Florida, United States. When the majority of communities in Duval County consolidated with the city of Jacksonville in 1968, Baldwin, along with Jacksonville Beach, Atlantic Beach and Neptune Beach, remained qua ...

Black Hammock Island

Black Hammock Island is an island in a marsh area at the edge of Jacksonville, Florida, in the United States. It lies almost directly adjacent to the Timucuan Ecological and Historic Preserve. At the south end of Black Hammock Island Cedar Point ...

Doctors Lake (Florida)

Doctors Lake is a body of water located off the St. Johns River in Clay County, Florida. Despite its name, it is not a true lake, as it is actually an inlet, openly connected to the St. Johns. Because of the estuarine nature of the St. Johns, Doc ...

Evergreen Cemetery (Jacksonville, Florida)

Evergreen Cemetery is a historic cemetery in Jacksonville, Florida. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places on April 8, 2011. It is located at 4535 North Main Street.

Jacksonville metropolitan area

The Jacksonville metropolitan area, also called Greater Jacksonville or Metro Jacksonville, is the metropolitan area centered on the principal city of Jacksonville, Florida and including the First Coast of North Florida. According to the 2010 Uni ...

Old City Cemetery (Jacksonville, Florida)

The Old City Cemetery in Jacksonville, Florida was established in 1852 as Jacksonvilles main burial ground. After the American Civil War the cemetery later interred many Confederate veterans. Being that the cemetery is over 160 years old the Jack ...

Pottsburg Creek

The Pottsburg Creek is an urban creek in Jacksonville, Florida. Its beginning is near a retention pond behind the old studios of WJXX. It outputs into the Arlington River which in turn empties into the St. Johns River. The creek primarily flows t ...

Trout River (Florida)

The Trout River is a 20-mile-long tributary of the St. Johns River in Duval County, Florida. Located entirely within Jacksonville, the river is brackish in its lower section. The widest point of the river is near the St. Johns River, where it is ...

Bayview – New York Bay Cemetery

Bayview Cemetery, previously called Greenville Cemetery, is located in Jersey City, New Jersey. It merged with New York Bay Cemetery and is now known as Bayview – New York Bay Cemetery.

Holy Name Cemetery (Jersey City, New Jersey)

Holy Name Cemetery is a Roman Catholic cemetery in Jersey City, New Jersey administered by the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Newark. It was established in 1866 and at the end of calendar year 2002 has accepted 264.984 burials. The cemetery parcel ...

PJP Landfill

The United States Environmental Protection Agency added the PJP Landfill site in Marion Section of Jersey City, New Jersey to the Superfund National Priorities List on September 1, 1983 because hazardous chemicals were found in the soil and groun ...

Joliet East Side Historic District

The Joliet East Side Historic District is a set of 290 buildings in Joliet, Illinois. Of these 290 buildings, 281 contribute to the historical integrity of the area. Joliet was founded in 1831, deemed an ideal place for a settlement to reap the l ...

Upper Bluff Historic District

The Upper Bluff Historic District is a set of 616 buildings in Joliet, Illinois. Of these 616 buildings, 517 contribute to the historical integrity of the area.

Blue River (Missouri River tributary)

The Blue River is a 39.8-mile-long stream that flows through Johnson County, Kansas, and Jackson County, Missouri, in the Kansas City Metropolitan Area. The river rises in Johnson County near the border of the states of Kansas and Missouri. Cross ...

Holy Rosary Historic District

The Holy Rosary Historic District in Kansas City, Missouri is a 2.7-acre area of the Columbus Park neighborhood centering on the Holy Rosary Church built in 1898. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2007.

Kaw Point

Kaw Point is the name given to the point where the Kansas River terminates at the Missouri River in the West Bottoms area of Kansas City, Kansas. Kaw Point is also where the Missouri ceases its southerly course and turns to flow generally east th ...

Neighborhoods of Kansas City, Kansas

Kansas City, Kansas is organized into a system of neighborhoods and communities. Some of these have a history as independent cities and others were the sites of major events.