ⓘ Free online encyclopedia. Did you know? page 30

Wronki Prison

Wronki Prison is the largest prison in Poland, holding over 1400 prisoners. Established by the German Empire in 1889, it is located in the town of Wronki, within the Greater Poland Voivodeship.

Bankipur Central Jail

The Bankipur Central Jail was a colonial prison located in Patna in the state of Bihar, India. Many notable dissidents such as Rajendra Prasad, Brajkishore Prasad, Srikrishna Sinha, Anugrah Narayan Sinha, Mulana Mazharul Haque and J. B. Kripalani ...

Freedom Park, Bangalore

Freedom Park is located in the Central Business District of the city of Bengaluru, Karnataka, India. It was formerly the Central Jail. It was opened to the public in November 2008. A part of it has been allotted for protests. When a state of emer ...

Madras Central Prison

Madras Central Prison was one of the oldest prisons in India. It was located in Chennai in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. It began operational during the British rule in India in 1837. Prisoners from the prison were moved to the newly constructe ...

Buru

Buru is the third largest island within Maluku Islands of Indonesia. It lies between the Banda Sea to the south and Seram Sea to the north, west of Ambon and Seram islands. The island belongs to Maluku province and includes the Buru and South Bur ...

Cisarua

Cisarua is a location and district in the Bogor Regency, located in the province of West Java, with a population of 112.655. The district is famous for its mild climate, tea fields, and stunning views, being located in a rather high altitude. Nea ...

Cork County Gaol

Cork County Gaol was a former prison located in Cork City, Ireland. The main walls and gate entrance of the prison are today incorporated in the perimeter of University College Cork.

Dundalk Gaol

Dundalk Gaol is a former gaol in Dundalk, County Louth, Ireland. The mens wing is now "The Oriel Centre", the womens wing is the Louth County Archive and the Governors House now a Garda station.

Geneva Barracks

Geneva Barracks in County Waterford, Ireland, was a barracks created in 1783 by converting a settlement which had been created for an 18th-century colony of disaffected citizens of Geneva following the Geneva Revolution of 1782. Built near Passag ...

Kilmainham Gaol

Kilmainham Gaol is a former prison in Kilmainham, Dublin, Ireland. It is now a museum run by the Office of Public Works, an agency of the Government of Ireland. Many Irish revolutionaries, including the leaders of the 1916 Easter Rising, were imp ...

Sligo Gaol

The prison sits on an 8-acre 32.000 m 2 site and was designed to hold 200 inmates in a polygon-shaped building, with the Governors residence situated in the centre of the prison. Construction of the prison began in 1818 and it was opened in 1823 ...

Peel Castle

Peel Castle is a castle in Peel on the Isle of Man, originally constructed by Vikings. The castle stands on St Patricks Isle which is connected to the town by a causeway. It is now owned by Manx National Heritage and is open to visitors during th ...

Castello di Milazzo

The Castello di Milazzo is a castle and citadel in Milazzo, Sicily. It is located on the summit of a hill overlooking the town, on a site first fortified in the Neolithic era. The Greeks modified it into an acropolis, and it was later enlarged in ...

Castello Ursino

Castello Ursino, also known as Castello Svevo di Catania, is a castle in Catania, Sicily, southern Italy. It was built in the 13th century as a royal castle of the Kingdom of Sicily, and is mostly known for its role in the Sicilian Vespers, when ...

Isole Tremiti

The Isole Tremiti are an archipelago in the Adriatic Sea, north of the Gargano Peninsula. They constitute a comune of Italys Province of Foggia and form part of the Gargano national park. The name of the islands relates to their seismic hazard, w ...

Palazzo San Giorgio

The Palazzo San Giorgio or Palace of St. George is a palace in Genoa, Italy. It is situated in the Piazza Caricamento. The palace was built in 1260 by Guglielmo Boccanegra, uncle of Simone Boccanegra, the first Doge of Genoa. For the construction ...

Real Cittadella

The Real Cittadella was a fort in Messina, Sicily. The Cittadella was built between 1680 and 1686 by the Spanish Empire, and it was considered to be one of the most important fortifications in the Mediterranean. Most of the fort was demolished in ...

Stinche Prison

The Stinche Prison was a prison on Via Ghibellina in the city of Florence, Italy. It stood more or less on the site now occupied by the Teatro Verdi.

Teatro Berga

The Teatro Berga was a Roman theatre in Vicetia, modern Vicenza, Italy. It stood in an area beyond the Retrone river, in what is now part of the historic centre of the city. Its site corresponded to buildings currently standing between Contrà San ...

Al Jafr prison

Al Jafr prison was, until its closure in 2006, one of the most notorious prisons in Jordans penal system. It was built in 1953, 256 km south of Amman, the capital of Jordan. In the mid twentieth century it held members of leftist political partie ...

Johor Bahru Prison

The Johor Bahru Prison, in the state capital of Johore in Malaysia, was opened in 1883 to incarcerate criminals in the State, as well as those who revolted against the British colonial government. The prison, located on 4.5 acres of prime land in ...

Fort Ricasoli

Fort Ricasoli is a bastioned fort in Kalkara, Malta, which was built by the Order of Saint John between 1670 and 1698. The fort occupies a promontory known as Gallows Point and the north shore of Rinella Bay, commanding the entrance to the Grand ...

Fort Saint Elmo

Fort Saint Elmo is a star fort in Valletta, Malta. It stands on the seaward shore of the Sciberras Peninsula that divides Marsamxett Harbour from Grand Harbour, and commands the entrances to both harbours along with Fort Tigne and Fort Ricasoli. ...

Fort St. Angelo

Fort St. Angelo is a bastioned fort in Birgu, Malta, located at the centre of the Grand Harbour. It was originally built in the medieval period as a castle called the Castrum Maris. It was rebuilt by the Order of Saint John as a bastioned fort ca ...

Saint Marys Tower

Saint Marys Tower, also known as the Comino Tower, is a large bastioned watchtower on the island of Comino in Malta. It was built in 1618, the fifth of six Wignacourt towers. The tower was used by the Armed Forces of Malta until 2002, and it is n ...

Saint Thomas Tower

Saint Thomas Tower, also known as Fort Saint Thomas, is a large bastioned watchtower in Marsaskala, Malta. It was built in 1614, the third of six Wignacourt towers. An artillery battery was added to the tower in the early 18th century. Saint Thom ...

Slaves Prison

The Slaves Prison officially known as the Grand Prison and colloquially as the bagnio, was a prison in Valletta, Malta. It was established in the late 16th century, and remained in use as a prison throughout the 17th and 18th centuries. It was su ...

Verdala Palace

Verdala Palace is a palace in the Buskett Gardens, limits of Siggiewi, Malta. It was built in 1586 during the reign of Hugues Loubenx de Verdalle, and it now serves as the official summer residence of the President of Malta.

Belem Prison

Belem Prison was located in Mexico City, Mexico and operated from 1886 until the early 1930s. The building was originally used by the Church and was confiscated during the Liberal Reform in 1857. The prison was replaced as the main prison by Lecu ...

Palacio de Lecumberri

The Palacio de Lecumberri is a large building, formerly a prison, in the northeast of Mexico City, Mexico, which now houses the General National Archive Archivo General de la Nacion. Known in popular culture as The Black Palace of Lecumberri, it ...

San Carlos Fortress

The San Carlos Fortress is an 18th-century fortress in the city of Perote, in the Mexican state of Veracruz. It is also known as the Fort of San Carlos, Perote Castle, the Castle of San Carlos, Perote Prison, San Carlos de Perote Fortress, and Sa ...

San Juan de Ulua

San Juan de Ulua, also known as Castle of San Juan de Ulua, is a large complex of fortresses, prisons and one former palace on an island of the same name in the Gulf of Mexico overlooking the seaport of Veracruz, Mexico. Juan de Grijalvas 1518 ex ...

Tazmamart

Tazmamart was a secret prison in south-eastern Morocco in the Atlas Mountains, holding political prisoners. The prison became a symbol of oppression in the political history of contemporary Morocco. It is located near the city of Er-Rich, between ...

Gevangenpoort

The Gevangenpoort is a former gate and medieval prison on the Buitenhof in The Hague, Netherlands. It is situated next to the 18th-century art gallery founded by William V, Prince of Orange in 1774 known as the Prince William V Gallery.

Rasphuis

The Rasphuis was a "tuchthuis" or prison in Amsterdam that was established in 1596 in the former Convent of the Poor Clares on the Heiligeweg. In 1815 it was closed, and in 1892 the building was demolished to make way for a swimming pool. On the ...

Schelmentoren

The Schelmentoren in Heerlen is a Medieval Building that has served as a defendable living tower for the Here van Are and their successors. As part of the Landsfort Herle, it served as a prison tower. It is believed to be built on command of Theo ...

District Jail Rawalpindi

District Jail Rawalpindi had been a prominent jail in Rawalpindi, Pakistan located opposite Rawalpindi District Courts. The Jail was inherited by the Punjab Prisons Department besides 18 other Jails after independence. On 4 April 1979, the former ...

Museo Sugbo

Museo Sugbo is the Cebu Provincial Museum located in the former Cebu Provincial Detention and Rehabilitation Center, four blocks from Plaza Independencia.

Gesiowka

Gesiowka is the colloquial Polish name for a prison that once existed on Gesia Street in Warsaw, Poland, and which, under German occupation during World War II, became a Nazi concentration camp. In 1945–56 the Gesiowka served as a prison and labo ...

Mausoleum of Struggle and Martyrdom

Mausoleum of Struggle and Martyrdom is a museum in Warsaw, Poland. It is a branch of the Museum of Independence. The museum presents the conditions in which Polish patriots and resistance fighters were jailed by Nazi Germany during World War II. ...

Norwegian POW Museum

Norwegian POW Museum is a Norwegian museum devoted to the history of Norwegian World War II Prisoners of War once interned in the German prisoner of war camp in Schildberg during the Nazi occupation of Norway. The museum is located in Ostrzeszow, ...

Pawiak prison

Pawiak was a prison built in 1835 in Warsaw, Congress Poland. During the January 1863 Uprising, it served as a transfer camp for Poles sentenced by Imperial Russia to deportation to Siberia. During the World War II German occupation of Poland, it ...

Stalag XXI-D

In Poznan itself, three forts were used to house PoWs; Rauch, IIIA and VIII. On the eastern, right, bank of the River Warta, near to the present day St. Roch bridge, stood Fort Rauch, the most southern of the right bank fortifications. Although p ...

Stara Prochownia

Stara Prochownia also known as the Bridge Gate is a historic building in Warsaw New Town. It is located on ulica Bolesc, just below the New Town and the Barbican, on the Vistula River escarpment.

Cadeia do Aljube

Cadeia do Aljube is a former prison in Lisbon, Portugal, now serving as a museum. Situated near the Se Cathedral in the parish of Santa Maria Maior, the prison housed those convicted through the Ecclesiastical Forum until 1820, then women accused ...

Monastery of the Monicas

The Monastery of the Monicas, located in São Vicente, Lisbon, was a Portuguese nunnery dedicated to the mother of Augustine of Hippo, Saint Monica. It later became a prison.

Doftana prison

Doftana was a Romanian prison, sometimes referred to as "the Romanian Bastille". Built in 1895 in connection with the nearby mines, from 1921 it began to be used to detain political prisoners, among them Gheorghe Gheorghiu-Dej, who was the Prime ...

Ramnicu Sarat Prison

Ramnicu Sarat Prison is a former prison located at 53 Ion Mihalache Street in Ramnicu Sarat, Buzau County, Romania. It was built at the end of the 19th century, and first attested in a document of October 1901. From its establishment until 1938, ...

Sighet Prison

The Sighet prison, located in the town of Sighetu Marmatiei, Maramures county, Romania, was used by Romania to hold criminals, POWs and political prisoners. It is now the site of the Sighet Memorial Museum, part of the Memorial of the Victims of ...

Akatuy katorga

Akatuy katorga prison was part of the Nerchinsk katorga system of the Russian Empire, and was situated in todays Alexandrovo-Zavodsky District of Transbaikalia. It was constructed in 1888 at the Akatuyskom mine, what is now the village of New Aka ...